SCI - Mad About Science
Working as a scientist in today's curriculum.
All you have to do is mention the word ‘Science’, to get an immediate ‘reaction’ from the children. It’s the one subject that gets them fired up, super-charged and coiled for off! They love the subject. As a teacher, we need to structure the lessons correctly, getting them to work as true scientists would in the field or laboratory. This course will have you crafting, devising and planning experiments & investigations, following best scientific principles. Now – where’s that white coat?
This self-paced online course is aimed at teachers who, for the duration of this course, will work as scientists, learning those all important skills such as the ability to observe, question, predict, investigate, measure and analyse. Skills can be practiced and honed as you explore content areas of human life, plants, light, sound, magnetism and electricity, the properties of materials and the environment within which we live.
The online format of this course enables you to study at a time and place that best suits your own needs.
You can access your course anytime until January 31st 2018.
Within this highly interactive web based course, a dynamic learning experience awaits, where you can interact with your fellow course participants through the in-course chat forums and communication tools provided by the CPD College learning system.
Our friendly and knowledgeable tutors actively support each course, providing expert interaction, guidance and feedback for all participants on chat questions and assignments which call for critical reflection, self-analysis and a reasoned response.
On successful completion of your course, you can download and print off your CPD record and certificate of completion.
We look forward to welcoming you to your course.
This course aims to:
- Build each teacher’s capacity to teach Science even better
- Ensure that skills in science are developed through taking a ‘working as a scientist approach’ at all times
- Skill and empower teachers in their teaching of all the Science strands and strand units in the coming year through active engagement with the ideas, content and methodologies, which comprise the core course content
- Plan, scope, organise and detail units of work exemplifying great practice across the strands.
- Identify a wealth of cross-curricular opportunities for integrating science, mathematics and literacy
- Supply materials, resources and ideas within the ‘Resources Library’
- Map online digital content to the curriculum expectations of the science strand units
- Assist teachers to review, plan and action points for improvement in their ‘Teacher Practice in Science’ as part of SSE.
|01 - To foster an understanding of the scientific skills and concepts that are potentially developed through looking scientifically at human, plant and animal life.|
|02 - To foster an understanding of the scientific skills and concepts that are potentially developed through looking scientifically at the areas of light, sound and heat.|
|03 - To foster an understanding of the scientific skills and concepts that are potentially developed through looking scientifically at the areas of forces and magnetism and electricity.|
|04 - To foster an understanding of the scientific skills and concepts that are potentially developed through exploring the properties and characteristics of materials.|
|05 - To foster an understanding of the scientific skills and concepts that are potentially developed through looking scientifically at environmental care and awareness.|
"I really enjoyed this course. I particularly enjoyed observing the video resource clips based on the various modules. It was easily apparent how much the children were enjoying the activities and how much learning was taking place. I was impressed by how eager young children are in this subject. Planning and preparation are key to the success of the science programme." - Rachel, 2017