LI - Literacy for Infants
Springboards & pathways to success.
Literacy for Infants – Know the code! Refresh & enliven, re-invigorate & embolden your literacy skills teaching arsenal, with the ideas, strategies, techniques and resources of this excellent course in literacy development at infants level. We know that strong literacy skills lifts success for students across all subjects. Are you primed to teach them successfully?
The interconnectedness of oral language, reading & writing is profound and inescapable … intertwining these complex literacy processes strengthens the greatest goal of literacy education – the construction of meaning from and through text. Using oral language, reading and writing together in harmonious concert enables learners to draw on these complementary processes at the same time as they work to construct meaning.
Our literacy course will cover the following aspects of a strong literacy programme for infants:
- The principles, parameters, planning and understandings that underpin effective literacy instruction in infants.
- The effective approaches, pathways and strategies to becoming a successful reader - designed to provide classroom teachers with practical approaches and resources for delivering an effective reading programme in infants based principally on synthetic phonics.
- The effective approaches, pathways and strategies to becoming a successful writer - designed to provide infant teachers with practical approaches and resources for delivering an effective writing programme.
- Provision of ideas and strategies to support the implementation of learning activities that address the expectations in the oral language strand of the
- Language curriculum in infants.
- Looking at assessment strategies and tools for literacy - discussion of assessment, including its role in literacy instruction and the various methods and tools for gathering, recording, interpreting, and communicating assessment information.
Additionally, teachers will discretely & systematically engage with the School Self-Evaluation processes & instruments with a view to later formulating and implementing a self improvement plan.
The online format of this course enables you to study at a time and place that best suits your own needs.
You can access your course anytime until January 31st 2018.
Within this highly interactive web based course, a dynamic learning experience awaits, where you can interact with your fellow course participants through the in-course chat forums and communication tools provided by the CPD College learning system.
Our friendly and knowledgeable tutors actively support each course, providing expert interaction, guidance and feedback for all participants on chat questions and assignments which call for critical reflection, self-analysis and a reasoned response.
On successful completion of your course, you can download and print off your CPD record and certificate of completion.
We look forward to welcoming you to your course.
- Equip teachers with the latest research, key principles, understandings and effective planning that underpin effective literacy instruction in infants, including the proposed new continuum.
- Equip teachers with the evidence based approaches, pathways and strategies to skilling children to become independent readers.
- Introduce teachers to the integrated suite of resources for delivering an effective reading programme in infants based principally on synthetic phonics and in particular the 5 step sequence of Jolly Phonics.
- Detail the approaches/methodologies and resources for delivering an effective writing programme.
- Provide learning activities that address the expectations in the oral language strand of the language curriculum in infants.
- Equip teachers with a suite of assessment approaches in infants, e.g. AoL & AfL.
- Showcase how digital tools and software can help support literacy teaching and learning.
- Review research/literature/writings to extrapolate good practice points.
- Look at one’s own ‘Teacher Practice in Literacy’ as part of the SSE process.
|01 - Followin completion of this module, teachers will be able to identify, specify and have a greater knowledge & understanding of what constitutes a strong, principle based effective approach to literacy in infants.|
|02 - In this module we outline and detail the effective approaches, pathways and strategies to reading in infants - equipping classroom teachers with further practical approaches and resources for delivering an effective reading programme in the first 2 years of school.|
|03 - The theme of this module is proposing and imparting the effective approaches, pathways and strategies to progressing the inpulse and ability of children to write in infants.|
|04 - In this module we provide ideas and strategies to support the implementation of learning activities that address the expectations in the oral communication strand of the English language curriculum in infants.|
|05 - We detail and examine the assessment strategies and assessment tools available to teachers for literacy in infants - discussion of assessment, including its role in literacy instruction and the various methods for gathering, recording, interpreting, and communicating assessment information. Teachers will also engage with the processes and tools of school self evaluation with a view to putting in place a self improvement plan.|
"Hi. I wanted to congratulate your team on what was a brilliantly interesting and informative course! I was very impressed with the course content, information, resources, links etc. I would definitely recommend this course to a friend or colleague and would see myself doing a CPD College course again in the future. Thanks again for a great course!" - Noreen, 2017